Join Dr. Culbreth and Dr. Jung Kim for a discussion titled Race, Culture and Identity: Sitcoms and Stereotypes of People of Color”
Thursday, July 31, 2014 at 8:00 pm EST
Listener Call in Line: 914-338-1308
Question to consider: Are people of color being stereotyped in the name of diversity on sitcoms?
- Historical Review: Stereotypes of people of color on television
- Race, culture, and identity on television in the millennium
- Are there set standards of behavior for people of color?
- What does acting “Black, Asian, or Latino” really mean in the media?
- I am not racist
- Stereotypes in 2014 sitcoms
- Diversity and the wrong approach
- People of color and reality
- But it’s still a negative approach
- Stereotypes and misconceptions of people of color
- The reality of it all